Pages

Thursday, July 11, 2013

March 8 is International Women's Day

This might be a delayed post but I just want to share what I did last March 8 which happened to be International Women's Day.

Being a woman, having a day to celebrate womanhood is great. However, my celebration was actually a day where realities of women abuses were discussed in a forum entitled "Scared, Scarred, Scorned" which was held at the Ateneo de Davao University. The invitation was extended to me by my friends from Luna Legal Resources for Women and Children, or simply called Luna. The forum had the goal of raising awareness of professionals about the realities of violence against women.

During the forum, invited speakers included victim-survivors, doctors, and lawyers. Most of what I learned on that day is on how to interview and handle victim clients. As a lawyer, we do not only have to be able to help our clients in representing them in court but we can also help a lot if we understand their situation first and if we know how to handle their special cases.