Pages

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Oath Taking Ceremony

April 14, 2011, Philippine International Convention Center (PICC), Plenary Hall, Roxas Boulevard, Pasay City.

The 2011 Bar Exam passers gathered as early as 8:00 A. M. for the registration. Security was really tight. The same security procedures during the bar examinations. No electronic gadgets were allowed inside and you have to leave your cellphones and cameras outside with the security personnel. And there is another set of security procedures at the main entrance of the plenary hall.

Everybody is required to wear a toga during the oath taking ceremony. Wait, wear a toga all through out the ceremony. Had I known, I shouldn't have stressed  myself looking for the perfect oath taking outfit. Hahaha! As a cautionary measure, however, women should NOT wear a long gown. It would definitely look like a disaster under the toga. Minus the toga, however, the long gown would be perfect. But you'll be wearing a toga, so don't wear a long gown. Also, you'll be walking on the rough concrete from the PICC main entrance to the Plenary Hall. You don't want to mess your gown, right?

The oath taking ceremony is a special en banc session of the Supreme Court. It was my first (and maybe my last and only) time to see all of the justices of the Supreme Court. It started on time and I was thankful for that. Everything went smooth, proper and in order.

There was just this one minor inconsistency that I noticed: the Lawyer's Oath that I have memorized has been revised. Below is the exact copy of the Lawyer's Oath as inscribed at the back of our programme:

I, ______________________ of ___________, do solemnly swear that I will maintain allegiance to the Republic of the Philippines; I will support and defend its Constitution and obey the laws as well as the legal orders of the duly constituted authorities therein; I will do no falsehood, nor consent to its commission; I will not wittingly or willingly promote or sue any groundless, false or unlawful suit, nor give aid nor consent to the same; I will not delay any man's cause for money or malice, and will conduct myself as a lawyer according to the best of my knowledge and discretion with all good fidelity as well to the courts as to my clients; and I impose upon myself this obligation voluntarily without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion. So help me God.